Regatta Cake Recipe
(Makes 2 x 1lb loaves (450g))
12 oz butter or margarine
8 oz soft brown sugar
I lb plain flour
2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 large cup of milk
2 eggs (beaten)
1 lb mixed fruit
2 table spoons good quality marmalade
1) Mix all the ingredients except the flour, eggs and bicarbonate of soda.
2) Melt the ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer until the fruit is well swollen.
3) Add flour, bicarbonate and eggs.
4) Mix well and place in the tins
5) Cook for 1 hour at 150 deg C, check to see that cake is cooked.
We use cake tine liners as they greatly ease the removal of the cakes from the tins and also hold the cake together better when we freeze it
This is a high energy cake made to feed rowers at Shrewsbury Regatta.