Malt Loaf Recipe
(Makes 2 x 1lb loaves (450g))
8 oz/225 g Sultanas
8 oz / 225 g Raisins
3 oz / 85 g butter
½ pint / 229 ml water
12 oz / 340 g self raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt ( we always leave this out, cake tastes great without it!)
8 oz / 225 g soft dark brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons malt extract
1) Preheat the oven to 180 deg C / 350 deg F / gas mark 4. Grease and flour the loaf tins
2) Put the sultanas, raisins, butter and the water together into a large saucepan. Bring to the oil and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool a little.
3) In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour bicarbonate of soda, salt (if using) together. Stir in the sugar.
4) Pour in the warm fruit mixture and add the beaten eggs and malt extract. Mix well with a spoon.
5) Pour into the prepared tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes, then move to the lower shelf and bake for a further 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6) Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then remove
We use cake tine liners as they greatly ease the removal of the cakes from the tins and also hold the cake together better when we freeze it